Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ties that Bind


In my two years of selling my handmade creations on Etsy, I've encountered many different and interesting people. Occasionally, I have had the opportunity to touch their lives.
A young woman contacted me through Etsy, saying she was local and wanted to talk to me about a custom job. She had seen in my Fisheye Shop that I make all kinds of bags out of reused and upcycled materials, and had a special bag in mind as a gift for her mother.
Her father, who had recently passed away, had been a guy known for his colorful neckties. She had saved a box of his ties because they were such a special remembrance of him. What she had in mind was for me to make a tote bag for the mom highlighting some of the ties in a stylish way. She gave me specifications on size and shape, but left the design up to me.

I had a nice piece of charcoal pinstripe in my stash, so that is what I decided to use for a base. Using several of the ties in a cohesive color scheme, I made a design that is not at first recognized as neckties. Once I got going, I started to feel good that I would have some part in the healing of this family's loss. I sewed a secret heart inside the bag, for the woman to see each time she opened it.

With the leftover ends cut from the ties, I made a small clutch to go with the tote or for the daughter, herself, to keep.

This is the kind of work I really enjoy. If I make something unique and it is special to someone else, that's what it's all about.

3 comments:

Susan aka Suzula said...

A wonderful story from a caring artist... This is what life should be all about. :)

aurorafedora said...

i loved this story, and the bag!

Yael said...

This is VERY lovely!
Yes, like it was already said: the story and the bag!!!